Thanks to Ben Frank for hosting a great party this past Saturday. We all had a wonderful time and great fellowship and food had us all smiling thoroughly by evenings end!
We even had some rounds of Bible trivia, Loaded questions, and amazing buffalo chicken and cheese dip! Prizes were distributed, and friendships strengthened. Pics below!
In the month of February I, along with Parris Payden and Derek Stone and several other men from Dublin Baptist Church will be starting up new discipleship groups focused on key areas of spiritual growth. We wanted to post the information here on those groups, along with specific times and contact info should anyone want to be involved.
Group 1: Derek Stone & Parris Payden
Begins February 18th
6:00pm-8:00pm @Dublin Baptist Church, Room 135, every sunday evening weekly
Contact Parris: firstname.lastname@example.org or Derek: email@example.com
Group 2: PJ Wenzel & Bo Dobbs
Begins February 9th
6:30pm-8:30pm @Rod Kinsey’s Home (Dublin) every sunday evening weekly
Contact PJ: firstname.lastname@example.org or Bo: email@example.com
Group 3: Ben Frank & John Short
Begins February 11th
8pm-10pm @Ben Frank’s home (Dublin) every Tuesday evening weekly
Contact John: firstname.lastname@example.org or Ben: email@example.com
Areas of Study Include:
- Biblical Roles (parenting, marriage, leadership etc.)
- Church History and Evangelism
- The Doctrines of Grace and the Gospel
- Everyday Living/Sanctification and Knowing God’s Character
- First Things: How the Gospel/Cross Applies to Our Lives
Key Components of a Discipleship Group’s Activities
- Prayer – devote a significant period of time during the group’s meeting to corporate prayer, and continue to pray for each other throughout the week (Phil. 4:46; James 5:16, etc.)
- Accountability/Encouragement – lovingly encourage one another in our walk with Christ. As requests, praises and life is shared group members we must strive to lift each other up, be honest with each other, and exhort one another toward Christ-like behavior (Heb. 3:13, 10:24; James 5:16a; 1 Thess. 5:11, etc.).
- Scripture Memorization/Meditation – corporate recitation and encouragement of scripture memorization (Ps. 119:11; Rom. 12:1-2, etc.)
- Regular serving and outreach – participation as a group in outreach, evangelistic, and service opportunities such as GROW, Bill Glass Prison Ministries, helping elderly or widows in the church, preparing/delivering meals for the homebound and other opportunities for service (John 13:35; Gal. 2:10; James 1:27, 2:14-26 etc.).
- Doctrinal/Theological Growth – We are called to leave the elementary principles (Heb. 6:1) and press on toward maturity in Christ in order that our lives might be more conformed to His image (2 Cor. 3:18). In order to do this we must spend more time learning about who God is, and what His Word says.
We have already had a great amount of interest in these groups, so much so that they’re filling up quickly. If you’d like to be involved please contact us immediately and we’ll get you plugged in.
I have personally found a great deal of encouragement and experienced a lot of growth spiritually because of the men and the time I’ve spent in discipleship groups over the past few years. The goal of these groups is simple: make disciples. We want to press on toward maturity in Christ. Once a group has been together a few years, we will (by the grace of God) split off and disciple more men who haven’t had the ability to be a part of any training.